CharChar Literacy is a registered UK Charity (No: 1192510). The registered office is 48 Farm Road, Leeds, LS15 7LA, UK
CharChar Literacy (“we”, “us”, or “our”) is committed to protecting the personal data we hold. This Privacy and Cookies Policy describes why and how we collect and process personal data. For the purpose of this policy, ‘personal data’ refers to information which can identify a living individual.
We take the security of the data we hold seriously. We will never share your personal data with third parties, unless you give us permission to do so or we are required by law. We will never sell your data to third parties or other charities.
Data that we collect
When and how we collect your personal information
- When you give it to us directly. For example, you may give us personal information through donation forms on our website, signing up to our email list, email communications with us, or through interacting with our social media accounts.
- When you give it to us indirectly. For example, we may receive your personal information (with your consent) if you give through external platforms such as Global Giving.
- When you use our website. We use “cookies” to help us improve the performance of our website. Please see our Cookies Policy below.
- When you interact with our marketing emails. With your consent, we use MailChimp to collect information about how subscribers interact with our marketing emails. This may include if you opened the email and if you clicked in the email. This information is used to improve our email marketing.
What information we collect
We may collect the following information:
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Your bank account details
- Taxpayer status (when claiming for Gift Aid)
- Age bracket
Unless there is an explicit need for doing so, we do not collect sensitive personal data such as race, political opinions or sexual orientation. For job and volunteer applications, please see the section below.
Why we process your information
- To process and acknowledge your donation.
- To send marketing communications about our work.
- To send fundraising appeals, where you have consented to this communication.
- To contact you about your support.
- For administrative purposes.
- To comply with any applicable legal obligations.
Our data processors
Your information is only accessible by our staff, volunteers and contracted partners. We keep access to your data to a minimum.
To help us store personal data securely, we use other companies to manage information. Our main data processors are:
- WordPress – our website content management system (CMS)
- PayPal – to process donations through our website
- Global Giving – to process donations
- Donorfy – our CRM system
- Mailchimp – our email marketing platform
We will never disclose your personal data to third parties without your consent unless required to by law.
Our Cookies Policy
A cookie is a piece of information sent from our website to your computer to help us recognise it quickly. If you prefer to not accept cookies, you can opt-out on your first visit to the website. Some cookies are required for the website to function which you cannot opt-out of. By continuing to use our website, you consent to the use of these cookies. You can disable cookies in your browser. This may affect some functionality of the website.
We also use third-party cookies that allow us to track conversions and activity on our website. Third party cookies may collect or receive information through your use of our website to provide advertisements and allow it to create lookalike audiences. We don’t collect personal information through these cookies.
What information do we collect through cookies?
We collect information anonymously to improve your experience on our website. If you accept cookies, we may anonymously record information such as:
- How long you spend on our website
- The pages you visit
- Whether you have visited the website before
- The country you are visiting from
For further details, please see the ‘about Hotjar’ section of Hotjar’s support site.
Jobs and volunteering applications
Where an individual is applying to work or volunteer for CharChar Literacy, personal data is collected through the application process. This may include to assess the applicant’s potential employment with us. We may collect personal information for diversity monitoring purposes. This is collected in an anonymised way, and only to measure diversity within our organisation.
Personal data collected for applicants is held for as long as necessary during the recruitment process, or for a maximum of five years.
Updates to our Privacy and Cookies Policy
This policy is kept under regular review. Please visit this page periodically to keep up to date to changes to the policy.
This policy was designed to be as comprehensive as possible. However, it is not an exhaustive list of all aspects of our data collection. We are happy to provide further information about our practices.
Please direct any queries or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 01/06/2022